Illuminati
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need tanking tips.

+2
geril
Zakamurte
6 posters

Go down

Need tanking tips. Empty Need tanking tips.

Post  Zakamurte Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:33 pm

So in 99% of instances I do on my retail warrior I end up tanking.
The last time I did Sunken Temple, group was 2 mages, priest and a enh shammy.
They insisted I pull 5+ mobs so they AoE, but I really had problems keeping aggro.
Even on single targets, the enh shammy rapes my threat with Windfury.

I usually hit the mob couple of times so I gain some rage, or charge then switch to def stance.
Then I stack some sunders, heroic strike, or tie Shield Block with Revenge (one of the tricks that seem to work nicely). I have no idea if I should be spaming Shield Block on every cd, but I can't seem to get enough rage to keep it up, so I'm not making threat.

When its a multiple pull, I sometimes use Bloodrage so I can start with building threat faster, then Thunder Clap, spam Cleave and spam some more Thunder Clap, that seems the only thing I can do for AoE, but most of the times, mages take aggro with their aoe so I end up chasing around trying to take them back, and Taunt just isn't enough.

And no....none waits before they start dps, even on 70, the only thing that do (sometimes) is let you hit the target once or twice before they start. -.-

I didn't intend to tank as a warrior, but there is always a lack of tanks so I'm forced to do.
I admit its alot of fun when it works ok, but when things go wrong I wanna pull my hair out.
Any tips are appreciated. =)
Zakamurte
Zakamurte
Captain

Back to top Go down

Need tanking tips. Empty Re: Need tanking tips.

Post  geril Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:33 pm

NOOB USE CLEAVE Very Happy
nah jk, i know what u mean, on retail i went with my friends warr in some instance in netherstorm, i think it was arcatraz and ppl gave me lead. didnt even knew i had lead lul, coz BM tanking is...however they wanted me to mark the mob which im gonna hit, i didnt pay attention, ran into 5 random mobs and we got wiped ppl started swearing me coz we had to get one 70 to open the door to arcatraz, coz u need a key for it, lol fail Very Happy

geril
Corporal
Corporal

Back to top Go down

Post  Malden Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:26 pm

well single or two mobs tankin for me is as u wrote >> shield block-revenge combo, thats a really good thing i always use it, i just spam the combo often. in def spec is even better since u get stun chance every revenge.
since im not really a tank (technically, coz i had to be lotta times since quote "theres always lack of tanks") i didint really master tankin as i played but still i tanked alot. sunken temple too:)
i dont think sunder armor works as it should here on BM coz it dont give as much threat as it should i think. so i dont use it much not to waste rage. i think also heroic strike is not that useful as tank, revenge is cheaper and with shield block combo its a good spammer. thunder clap and cleave ofc for more enemies but lotta rage. i often change stances for a sec to use <whirlwind> coz its instant. useful here is stance mastery so u have rage to use it.
hmm 5 mobs at a time and still hold agrro:/ thats hard thing to do:/ last resort is <challenging shout> when u get too confused and loose all agrro.
more tips hmmm
1. fast weapon
2. shield block spam and tauntin every one that escapes every 10 (Cool sec.
well thats what i do. its more but depends on a build ofc.
not much but maybe u get some more ideas urself while reading this!
cheers
Malden
Malden
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  Zakamurte Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks Mal. Smile
I'm not speced prot myself, because you don't need to be prot to tank Azeroth instances, until you get to outlands its all "easy".

Well if anyone knows where I can get a guide, as I can't seem to find any myself that doesn't talk giberrish >.<
Zakamurte
Zakamurte
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakonius Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:40 am

In case it helps, this is my protection warrior's (lvl 65) talent tree on retail.
Drakonius
Drakonius
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Zakamurte Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:50 pm

Drakonius wrote:In case it helps, this is my protection warrior's (lvl 65) talent tree on retail.

Thanks but you didn't understand, my warrior isn't prot and prolly never will be except that I'll take
Tactical Mastery from prot. But I'm forced to tank as fury all the time so I just wanted to learn some tips to improve it since I have problems in some areas.
Zakamurte
Zakamurte
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shadex Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:07 pm

Fury is allmost imposible to tank with when you get over level 40...

The only way you can tank is either by going full dps and then stance dance - or make some agreement with those you are raiding with so you can build up the aggro..
Shadex
Shadex
Unknown.
Unknown.

http://illuminati.we.bs

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeender Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 pm

if you have berseker rage then go in berseker stance press berseker rage swich on defense stance ,thunder clap,cleave, heroic,revenge,demeralizating shout this is for crowud control but if your not prot. is hard to keep agroo you can spam from 10 to 10 sec taunt.

good luck whit tanking Very Happy

PS: no mathere you are arms, furry, prot you should put 3 points in tactical mastery( you keep 25 rage when you change stances)
hopeender
hopeender
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Zakamurte Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:58 pm

Meh stance dancing seems really useless without Tactical Mastery, as I lose more than I gain.
I guess I'll have to make some agreement for them to let me build some threat, or tell them to stfu and get a proper tank and let me dps Very Happy though this might get me kicked xD
Zakamurte
Zakamurte
Captain

Back to top Go down

Post  hopeender Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:01 pm

3 points in tactical mastery and you cant tank whit no problem make stance dance for pvp and dps to Razz in my opinion all warr's should have 3 points in there plus that skill now is makeing you threat from MS/BLODTHRIST biger
hopeender
hopeender
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Drakonius Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:03 pm

Just switch to protection. I've been protection since my first talent point and I haven't had many issues so far. Levelling goes a bit slower than with other specs but at my current level it's speeding up so I'm not complaining.
Drakonius
Drakonius
1st Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum